From BREATHING ROOM
REN GAGE’S CLASSIC MARINARA
The hero of BREATHING ROOM, Ren Gage, is Hollywood’s favorite villain. He’s also half Italian, and when he was a child, his Nonna tried to keep him out of trouble by teaching him to cook. Here is a Classic Marinara recipe guaranteed to make your home smell like an Italian cucina. It has the added advantage of being low fat, vegetarian, easy to prepare, and multi purpose. A Phillips Family staple, I must have made this 1001 times. You may vary the vegetables you chose according to preference. Food processor speeds preparation.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, rough sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes (chopped or processed in food processor)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 T dried basil, dried oregano, sugar
- 1 t dried thyme, rosemary
- l/2 t crushed red pepper
- (options: Capers, spinach, eggplant in any combination. Meat can also be added according to preference.)
1. Sauté vegetables, garlic, and spices in a little olive oil until soft.
2. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce.
3. Heat to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to low and cook about 1 hour.
4. Serve over rotini or your favorite pasta. Garnish with parmesan or feta.