From LADY BE GOOD
SHELBY TRAVELER’S LIGHT SUMMERTIME PASTA
As some of you may remember, Shelby Traveler, in LADY BE GOOD, has had a little trouble taking off the weight that accumulated during her pregnancy. Since Shelby loves good food, but also wants to slim down, I know she’ll enjoy this recipe. (Note that this tastes best if you let first series of ingredients sit out at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving)
COMBINE IN SERVING BOWL:
- About 5-6 C chopped ripe tomatoes
- About 1 C finely chopped sweet onion (I use less)
- l/2 C chopped fresh basil (I use more) or 2 T dry basil
- l/3 C balsamic vinegar (Or use half Balsamic and half Rice Vinegar. Don’t use cider vinegar. It’s too strong.)
- l/4 C oil (I used half olive oil and half canola—both good heart healthy oils)
- 1-2 tsp granulated sugar
- About 3 minced garlic cloves (to taste)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
Let these ingredients sit on counter at room temperature for about an hour.
Cook about 3/4 pound of a thinner pasta such as angel hair, thin spaghetti, or a smaller rotini in salted water. Drain but don’t rinse. Gently toss in serving bowl with above ingredients. Dish onto individual plates and top with grated Parmesan or mozzarella.